If you like chocolate chip cookies and you like bananas, you have to try these bar cookies. I found this recipe about 25 years ago on the back of a Tollhouse mini chocolate chip package.
It’s become a go-to recipe in my family and is always a big hit.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bars:
They cook up easy in a baking pan and taste great with or without the powdered sugar. And they look great on a cookie tray!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter, soft
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 bananas)
- 1 egg
- 2 cups (12 oz) chocolate chips (mini or regular)
- powdered sugar (approx 1/4 cup)
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until creamy. Use beaters…don’t mix by hand.
- Add bananas and egg to butter mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Gradually add flour mixture to the butter mixture, beating each time until the flour is incorporated before adding more.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spray a 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray and spread batter into pan, smoothing it across the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes. The cookie bars are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or the edges have slightly pulled away from the pan and are just barely browned.
- Cool completely and then sprinkle with powdered sugar through a fine mesh strainer. Cut into small bars and serve.
I love Pinterest and Facebook shares!
Wow, I made these wonderful bars for my husband Karen, 5 *’s all the way. He loved them so much that he hid them on me. He was a very happy camper; the moist flavorful bars were chocked full of chocolate, just the way he likes them and they have a really lovely banana flavor. He has asked that these be made on a regular basis. Thank you for sharing such a lovely recipe, it was quick and easy to make with terrific results. Made FYC tag game. (BK)